The deadly Covid-19 Virus is making us sick, killing many, and has rocked our economy and the WORLD to a core we have never seen and hopefully, never see again!
According to The New England Journal of Medicine coronavirus – Covid-19 can stay active on hard, shiny surfaces for up to 72 hours. This means the virus could survive on your glasses and sunglasses.
We know that our hands can carry the virus so touching our face is a BIG “No-No”. We also know that this is a super hard habit to break! Especially for the millions of people that wear sunglasses and glasses. We are constantly taking our glasses on and off and adjusting them on our faces.
The amount of research available online is abundant and everyone has come to the same conclusions to help stop the spread. In short, don’t touch your face, wash your hands, social distance, and stay home. Dr. David Price of Weill Cornell Medical Center has a great video on how to prevent COVID-19 from spreading. In his video he emphasizes to clean your hands and do 'not touch your face, period'.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) offer these general guidelines to slow the spread of disease:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- You should especially wash your hands before eating, after using the restroom, sneezing, coughing or blowing your nose.
- If you can’t get to a sink, use a hand sanitizer that has at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your face — particularly your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- If you cough or sneeze, cover your face with your elbow or a tissue. If you use a tissue, throw it away promptly. Then go wash your hands.
- Avoid close contact with sick people. If you think someone has a respiratory infection, it’s safest to stay 6 feet away.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Regularly disinfect commonly touched surfaces and items in your house, such as doorknobs and counter tops.
Velvet Eyewear would like you to consider adding this small daily routine to your Covid-19 prevention:
Wash your sunglasses & glasses with warm soapy water twice a day or more. Do not use Lysol, Windex, or any other harsh detergent on your glasses or lenses to prevent damaging the lenses and finish on your frames.
We have recommended warm soapy water to clean your glasses for years. Now is the time to do it on a very regular basis to help FIGHT COVID-19.