From the beach to back to school, it's hard to believe that it's already August & back to school + back to the office prep is in full gear. As per usual, we've got you covered!
Now a days, the majority of our jobs and schooling require us to spend most of our day in front of a computer screen or other digital devices, which tend to beam artificial blue light into our eyes. While natural blue light can actually be good for you, studies have shown that continuous, long-term exposure to blue light can contribute to digital eye strain, lack of Zzz's, eye irritation, headaches, and even long-term damage to your eyes.
One characteristic of blue light is that it penetrates all the way to the retina (the inner lining of the back of the eye) and can damage your retina cells. Many eye care professionals are also concerned that the increase in blue light exposure from computer screens, smartphones and other digital devices might increase a person's risk of macular degeneration: a common eye disorder caused by deterioration of the macula, a small area in the center of the retina in the back of the eye.
Here are 10 things you can do to reduce your exposure to artificial blue light:
- The 20-20-20 Rule - When working on a screen, every 20 minutes look at something 20 feet away for at least 20 seconds, an exercise recommended by the American Optometric Association.
- Set your iPhone to “Night Shift” from 9pm to 7am – the Night Shift function changes the colors of the phone display to warmer colors, so you are exposed to less blue light.
- Buy reduced-blue LED lights for your home and office to warm up your surroundings.
- Change the color tone option on your computer monitor to “warm”.
- Put your digital devices down 2 hours prior to your bedtime.
- Buy reading glasses with UV protection and Blue Light blocking technology.
- Limit screen time.
- Blink, blink, blink.
- Download an app to block blue light from your device.
- Replace old, scratched reading glasses.
While the effects of over exposure to blue light are still being studied, it seems to make good sense to limit it as much as possible! If you haven't already, be sure to check out our beautiful Blue Light Eyeglass collection, which feature TruBlue lens technology & anti-reflective coating. Better clarity, less glare, true comfort.
Love your eyes, protect your eyesight!
PS - We are holding an Instagram giveaway, so be sure to follow us for a chance to win!